Archive of Financial Articles
- Mixing Business and Personal Credit Can Hurt Your Credit Score
Your business creditworthiness depends on both your business score and your personal score. Keep your balances low on business and personal credit lines.... more
- Why You Must Choose Your Customers and Narrow Your Focus
Make customer loyalty your number one priority. Be exceptional at delivering one type of value to your customer.... more
- Is Your Umbrella Liability Policy Leaving Your Assets Exposed?
Underestimating your personal liability risks can financially expose you. Maybe a standard umbrella policy isn’t enough. Here’s what you need to know.... more
- Managing Your Personal Finances Like a Business
Manage your cash flow like a business. Break your budget into manageable pieces. Here are basics of cash flow allocation.... more
- The Biggest Financial Mistakes Business Owners Make
Take a moment to understand how one costly mistake could take away everything you have worked for and how to protect yourself and your business.... more
- A Family Protection Plan for Business Owners
Do you have maximum insurance protection to protect your family and business? Here are some items to consider.... more
- Life Stage Financial Planning for Business Owners
Plan for a secure retirement through the stages of your business. Here are some tips for setting more achievable goals and gaining confidence and motivation with more frequent accomplishments.... more
- Give Back to Your Community and Watch Your Business Grow
Create goodwill in your community. It doesn’t have to be all about the money! Here is why giving back to your community is good business.... more
- Tax Help: How to Choose a CPA
A CPA can help the business owner stay attuned to changing tax law and emerging financial opportunities. Here are some tips for selecting a CPA.... more
- It’s Time for a Business Financial Check-up
Give your business a periodic financial check-up. Know the critical areas of concern for your business’s financial wellness.... more
- Business Lines of Credit as a Cash Flow Solution
Growing your business may sometimes lead to a temporary cash crunch. Having a business line of credit can help you through those times.... more
- The Importance of Valuing Your Business Now
Do you know the value of your business? There are many reasons why you should have your business appraised.... more
- What’s Your Business Exit Plan?
Your business exit plan increases the likelihood that your future will happen as you want it to happen. It is never too early to plan your exit strategy.... more
- 5 Ways to Smooth Out Your Small Business Cash Flow
Business owners are sometimes challenged with covering operating expenses. Finding ways to smooth out cash flow a struggle. Here are some tools to help you.... more
- Will Your Business be a Victim of Employee Fraud?
If the opportunity presents itself, employee fraud can happen in your business. Prevent it from occurring in the first place. Here are some tips.... more
- Why it’s Critical for Business Owners to Diversify
Gain control of your money and know where it is going. Whether you are technologically inclined or do your budget with paper and pen, these tips will help you.... more
- Five Ways to Boost Financial Performance
Boosting your financial performance can get you to the next level. Learn how to focus on critical aspects of your business to help you achieve that goal.... more
- Having Trouble Hiring, Keeping Employees? Time to Get Creative
Employers are becoming creative with their benefits and perks to outdo other employers. Here is a sampling of what jobseekers are finding during their job hunt.... more
- Tax Filing Mistakes Business Owners Must Avoid
Keeping up with changing tax rules and not keeping precise and organized records are just some of the mistakes small business owners make. Here are some of the mistakes to avoid.... more
- Behind on Saving for Retirement? Here’s How Business Owners Can Catch...
Business Owners - it’s not too late to put more away for your retirement! Take full advantage of available tax savings with the time you have left before retirement.... more
- Time is Money: 5 Ways to Save on Your Accounting Bill
As your business grows your accounting needs expand. It is costly when your accountant needs to put your files in order. Here are ways to do that before you give them to your accountant.... more
- Will Your Business Become a Victim of Wire Fraud?
You must be the first line of defense against wire fraud. Educating you and your employees on the risks and vulnerabilities is key to keeping your business safe.... more
- Will Your Business Survive the Next Disaster?
Does your business have a Business Continuity Plan? Read what you need to know and how to implement one.... more
- Unlock Your Business’s Potential Through Outsourcing
A small business owner wears many hats. Some of them may require you to do functions that could be done by others and free up your time for more important endeavors. Is it time to outsource?... more
- Networking Your Way to Business Success
Building a business support network doesn’t have to me difficult. Try these 5 support mechanisms to help you grow.... more
- Getting to Yes with a Solid Loan Proposal
Learn the key components lenders want to see in a business loan proposal.... more
- How to Create Shared Economic Value
Define your business success not just with profits but, how you can increase society’s capacity to drive positive economic and social progress.... more
- For Business Owners, Time is Precious, So Don’t Waste It
Are you organizing, prioritizing and delegating business functions that free you up to work on the business? Here are some tips to do just that.... more
- Why a Business Banking Relationship is Important to Your Business
Establishing a business relationship with a banker is important to your business. Developing the integrity and trust over time will help you have a partner you can count on.... more
- Why It's Important to Know Your Business's Debt Capacity
Your business’s capacity to take on debt is important when an opportunity arises that requires a loan. Here is what you need to know.... more
- Now is the Time to Think About Capital Expenditures
Are you considering capital expenditures for your business? Now is a great time to sit down with our business banker to discuss financing options.... more
- The Best Ways for Business Owners to Invest
The amount of control you give to the investment manager determines the type of services you will receive. Here is some basic information on the three types of investment management services... more
- 5 Things to Know Before Taking on a Partner
Business partnerships that have gone bad can ruin your business. Carefully investigate your prospects.... more
- The Biggest Security Risk for Small Businesses
Phishing attacks are up more than 800%. Most businesses can expect to be a target. Do you provide security training to all your employees?... more
- You Must Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus and Dominate Your...
Knowing your customers and having a value discipline to be exceptional at is key to sustaining growth and profitability.... more
- The Versatility of Life Insurance for Business Owners
Life Insurance policies can be used in various ways to protect your business. Working with an insurance professional will help you determine what you might need.... more
- Revenue, Profits, Cash Flow—What’s the Difference?
Revenue, profits, and cash flow are interrelated but quite different in terms of their impact on your business. Here is a breakdown of what they are and what they do.... more
- Insuring Your Most Valuable Assets Your Key Employees
What would happen to your business if a key employee died or was disabled? Learn why Key Person Insurance is important for your business.... more
- Buy-Sell Agreements are Essential Business Planning Tools
Having a Buy-Sell Agreement allows a surviving business partner to buy out the interest .of a deceased partner’s family. Learn why this is important and the benefits of having such a plan... more
- Is it Time to Hire an Accountant?
Being your own accountant while running your business may not be the wisest move. Besides doing your taxes, here are some tips for why you should have an accountant.... more
- The Advisory Team Every Business Owner Needs
Having an advisory team for your business is a smart idea to help you plan all aspects of your business. Here are some tips on finding who you need for your advisory team.... more
- Achieving Business Gains Through Outsourcing
Outsourcing certain business tasks can be advantageous to your business. Here are some ideas for what to outsource and tips for selecting the right services.... more
- 5 Tips for Making 2021 Your Best Year Ever
Get back on track to develop the passion you had for creating your business and making it thrive. Here are some tips for making that happen.... more
- Employers Chase Creativity in Offering New Benefits and Perks
As the job market becomes more competitive for employers, it is becoming a game of one-upmanship as they try to outdo one another in offering unique benefits and perks to attract job seekers.... more
- Negotiating Tips for Getting a Business Loan
Are you prepared to negotiate a business loan? Here are five steps owners need to take that will put them in a much stronger position when negotiating loan terms.... more
- How to Establish and Build Business Credit
What do lenders look for when determining if your company is a good credit risk? Here are some tips for presenting your business as an acceptable risk.... more
- Why a SEP IRA is a Great Starter Option for Small...
For a small business owner with no employees, a SEP IRA may be the best choice to begin accumulating capital for retirement. Learn how this plan may be right for you.... more
- Business Owners: How to Keep Your Money from Becoming Other People’s...
Creating a claim-proof asset protection strategy is the surest way to protect your assets from the unwanted advances of those who want to make your money theirs. Here are some ideas for helping you create that strategy... more
- Enjoy S-Corp Tax Advantages without Irritating the “IRS”
There are many benefits to organizing your business as an S-Corp. Proper tax planning is key. Learn some ways in which you can stay on the right side of the IRS while enjoying the benefits.... more
- Business Owners Need to Layer up on Personal Umbrella Liability Coverage
As a business owner, you have two sets of assets to protect, your business and your personal assets. Do you have business and personal liability insurance? Here is why it is important.... more
- What’s Your Exit Strategy?
Having a formal exit strategy is essential whether you are eventually selling or transferring your business. Here are some tips for creating your formal exit planning blueprint.... more
- Many Business Owners are Behind the Retirement Savings Curve
Start to save for your retirement. It is never too late. The more time you waste in procrastinating is time lost for investing. Learn some tips on how to get from behind the savings curve.... more
- How Carrying Business Balances on Your Personal Credit Cards Can Sink...
Keep your business and personal credit card balances separate and low. Your business credit worthiness depends on both. Learn why you need them.... more
- Why Hiring Your Kids This Summer Is a Win-Win-Win
Here are some tax benefits of hiring children in the family to help operate your business.... more
- Tax Help for Business Owners: How to Choose a CPA
Hiring the right CPA for your small business is important. Getting good and professional tax help can translate into money for your business.... more
- CARES Act Tax Breaks for Small Businesses
The CARES Act contains many tax provisions impacting small businesses, including adding a new credit, delaying payment due dates, and modifying changes passed in the TCJA of 2017.... more
- The Possibility of Negative Interest Rates in the U.S.
If interest rates in the U.S. go into the negative range, what is the benefit and how might it be different than the European Experiment?... more
- Paycheck Protection Program Offers Lifeline to Small Businesses, Employees
Learn how the Paycheck Protection Program under the CARES Act can help your business during this crisis.... more
- Do You Need a Partner or Investor? Pros and Cons of...
When looking for financiers for your business, know the differences between partners and investors. Be aware of the benefits and pitfalls with each decision.... more
- Getting Your Business Ready for the Coronavirus Effect
Advice for your small business with dealing with the coronavirus outbreak.... more
- The Importance of the Sales Budget as a Business Management Tool
A sales budget shows how resources should be allocated to achieve forecasted sales. Without a sales budget, it would be difficult to forecast a profitable year.... more
- Setting and Managing Goals is Key to High-Performance Sales Results
Goal setting is one of the most important functions of sales management. Here you will learn the key principles to make it effective.... more
- For Small Business Owners: Better to be SAFE than SIMPLE?
Small business owners who want to save, have a Safe harbor option. Selecting investments that are safe rather than simple is usually the better option.... more
- Your Business Plan is Your Blueprint for Success
A Business Plan should illuminate your vision, mission, value and goals. Learn how to create a plan to do just that.... more
- In Search of the Right Financial Advisor
Asking the right questions can be the key to finding the right financial advisor for you. Here are some questions to ask both yourself and your advisor.... more